There are three ways to verify your identity with Westpac’s identity check:
1. Before you arrive in Australia
Visit any Westpac London branch or an approved certifier such as an Australian consular officer or an Australian diplomatic officer.
You can complete an overseas identity check by:
- Downloading the following form Certified Copy Certificate (PDF 525kb)
- Present the form to an approved certifier (refer to the Certified Copy Certificate for a list of certifiers) or a Westpac London branch representative
- Your certifier or offshore Westpac representative will identify you by examining your passport, birth certificate or national identity card* plus another document that displays your residential address such as a driver's licence and complete the certifiers section of the Certified Copy Certificate.
- You will need to complete and sign Part A of the form in the presence of the certifier
- Send the original copy of the completed form and the certified copies of the identification documents to:
Westpac UK Migrant Banking
23 Camomile Street London EC3A 7LL
* Your national identity card, issued by a foreign government, the United Nations or an agency of the United Nations, must contain your photograph and signature.
For assistance with identifying yourself offshore, please contact us.
2. Visit a Westpac branch when you arrive in Australia
To complete your identity check visit a Westpac branch once you arrive in Australia. If you visit a branch within six weeks you will need to bring the following to have your identity verified:
- your passport and Australian residential address
- a valid visa and confirmation of your arrival in Australia within the last six weeks.
Any longer than six weeks, and you'll need to provide at least two forms of identification such as a passport, driver's licence or birth certificate.
3. Get verified online and save time
If you open an account when you are already living in Australia you can save time by having your identity checked online. Simply have two of the following documents handy when you complete the application form:
- International or Australian Passport
- Australian Drivers Licence
- Medicare Card
If you don't complete the identity check
If the identity check isn't completed within 12 months (365 days) of your account application, the account will be closed. If you have deposited funds into your account you will need to complete an identity check before you can withdraw those funds from your closed account.